Recipe by Melody Huang
The light and airy texture of this cake is what gives it its name. Try this lemony chiffon cake for a weekend occasion, flavored with Jing Si Tea.
Note: this recipe requires the use of eggs and may produce different results when replacing with egg alternatives.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Brew tea by adding boiled water to pot with tea leaves. Let steep for 5 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, separate egg yolks from whites into two separate bowls.
- In a large mixing bowl, add brewed tea and coconut oil with a fork or whisk.
- Sift flour into mixture, add egg yolks and lemon juice, and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, begin whipping egg whites with an electric mixer on high. Add sugar, a few teaspoons at a time, whipping in between to steadily incorporate. When ready, mixture should form fluffy peaks.
- Add egg whites to batter, lightly folding in.
- Prepare bundt pan.
- Add batter to pan and bake in oven for 50 minutes.
- When done, top should have a golden brown hue. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
A Message From the Chef
By participating in this video series, I learned that one can still make very good food while only using vegetarian ingredients, which is better for the environment.
– Melody Huang, Homestead High School in Cupertino, CA