Learn about the Very Veggie Movement
Recipe by Connor Hsu
We love the texture of dessert gelatin – but we love animals, too. In this recipe, Connor Hsu devises a vegetarian-friendly take on jello that’s both tropical and full bodied with layers of coconut milk and Jing Si Tea!
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil. In a pot, add tea leaves and let sit to brew for 3 minutes.
- Then, turn heat on tea and bring back to boil. Begin to add 110 g of agar powder and brown sugar, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- In 3 cups, evenly pour out mixture. Let cool till it solidifies to a jelly-like consistency.
- In saucepan, bring coconut milk and remaining cup of water to boil. Stir in remaining agar powder well. Remove from heat and pour into 3 previous cups as a second layer. Let cool; will also solidify into a jelly.
- In the meantime, peel and cut mango into ½” cubes. Sprinkle on top layer of jello cups.
- Drizzle condensed milk across mango topping, distributing evenly among three cups. Enjoy!
A Message From the Chef
I learned about video editing and also learned how to make my own recipe of something I would like to eat. It was a new and fun experience.
– Connor Hsu, Student at Foothill High School in Pleasanton, CA