Learn about the Very Veggie Movement
Recipe by Joanna Chiu
On cold winter days, there’s nothing more we love than a hot, soothing meal. That’s why we love this porridge, enhanced with the deep and comforting flavors of Jing Si black tea. This recipe uses wolfberries, commonly known as goji berries. They are antioxidant rich, giving us the boost we need to get through the winter!
1 c white rice
1 L water
½ c shiitake mushroom (if dry, prepare/hydrate according to package directions)
½ c dried black fungus, prepared/hydrated according to package directions
½ c red dates
2 tbsp wolfberries (goji berries)
salt to taste
recommended tools: kitchen scale (to measure ingredients), mesh sieve or strainer
- Bring water to boil. In teapot or vessel, add water and tea to brew for 5 minutes. Then, strain tea leaves and pour out into bowl.
- Wash rice.
- Slice hydrated mushrooms, black fungi, and red dates.
- In a stock pot, add rice and tea. Add in mushrooms, fungi, as well as wolfberries and dates.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and add salt to taste. Enjoy!
A Message From the Chef
This project was a meaningful experience for me as it allowed me to learn how to edit videos (which I am sure will help me in college in the future). Furthermore, it gave me the chance to try cooking by myself. I’m not really good at cooking, so I’m glad that it turned out relatively well.
– Joanna Chiu, Student at Dublin High School in Dublin, CA