Recipe by Hilary Choi
As we each get through the work week, it’s important to take fulfilling breaks. Make your next one tastier with this classic sponge cake – but with a twist! Light, airy, and just sweet enough, this Jing Si tea flavored cake is sure to be an easy treat you’ll make again and again.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to boil. Turning heat off, add tea leaves and stir to mix. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Using a strainer, pour milk tea into a large bowl, removing tea leaves. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients including sugar, flour, and baking powder. Stir to mix.
- Then, melt butter over stovetop or place in microwave for 1 minute (or until melted).
- To bowl with milk, stir in eggs and melted better. Lightly whisk with fork.
- Slowly pour wet mixture into dry mixture, incorporating and mixing until there are no lumps.
- Prepare loaf pan. Lightly coat with a non-stick spray, butter, vegetable shortening, or oil. Then, sprinkle flour to coat.
- Pour batter into pan, insert into oven, and bake for 45 minutes. Edges should be golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before serving. Enjoy!
A Message From the Chef
From participating in the Very Veggie Movement video recipe series, I had fun and gained experience in video editing.
– Hilary Choi, Student at Irvington High School in Fremont, CA