Brown, green, yellow, red, or black, lentils are high in protein and fiber and low in calories, rich in iron and folate. In fact its health benefits can help reduce risk of heart disease, making them the perfect substitute for meat. Not only are they nutritious powerhouses- they’re perfect for every budget.
1 cup lentils
4 cups water
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
⅓ cup of Extra Virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large, wide, flat-bottomed pot.
- Sauté vegetables (Onion, red and green pepper) stirring frequently until tender, about 10 minutes
- Add salt, paprika, and spiced paprika.
- Dice up your potatoes and carrots and add to the pot and stir it all for another 10 minutes
- Add the lentils and move the vegetables around so the lentils fall to the bottom of the pot as much as possible.
- Add 4 cups of water
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low temperature. Add a couple of laurel leaves, cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring to boil two eggs according to the desired doneness: 3 minutes for soft boiled; 7 minutes for medium boiled; 12 minutes for hard boiled.
- If lentils liquids seem to boil off, add a little extra warm water.
- Once done, remove the laurel leaves, add the boiled eggs in slices, serve and enjoy!