A baked cake brings magic into every kitchen. Seeing one come together from start to finish and the aromas that fill your home will truly bring you to a sweet place. This citrus cake is a refreshing treat that makes as great a breakfast as it does dessert. Yogurt gives this cake its softness, with a final touch of citrus that makes it irresistible. It’s an easy-to-bake recipe well-suited for beginners, and crowd-pleasing, too.
1 ½ cup sugar, separated
1 cup olive oil
1 cup lemon yogurt
1 ½ cup flour, sifted
2 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp citrus (lemon, lime, and/or orange) zest, separated
½ c chocolate chips
unsalted butter (to coat pan)
- In a bowl, add eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Whisk until creamy. Add remaining ½ cup of sugar and olive oil. Whisk again till smooth.
- Add yogurt and fold in sifted flour. Whisk. Add baking powder, making sure to add it at this stage only. Whisk again!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add roughly 2 tbsp of citrus zest (we used lemon, lime, and orange). Though all three citrus fruits are not necessary, the combination adds a complex punch. Whisk in.
- Oil baking pan with just a bit of butter to prevent sticking. Add cake mix.
- Place into oven for 25 minutes, being sure not to open the oven within the first 15 minutes. When done crust should be golden brown. Set to cool for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips. We use the double boiler method till creamy. Let cool slightly.
- For plating, take berries and carefully dip into chocolate. Let cool a bit and dip into remaining tbsp of citrus zest. Let cool completely.
- Plate cake with berries, drizzle remaining chocolate, and dust with powdered sugar. Voila!