This cream of green vegetables is loaded with “super” vegetables like spinach, peas, and Perona beans, with just a touch of cream. It’s the perfect dish to make between winter and spring. The flavors are mellow and simple: a bit of onion and cilantro, combined with the freshness of green vegetables, get topped off with a light, poached egg.
1 bundle of cilantro
2 cups of peas
1 cup of spinach
1 cup of Perona, flat, or string beans
12 oz evaporated milk
2 tbsp olive oil
- Fill a soup pot halfway with water. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add peas and stir them for 5 minutes. Add spinach and Perona beans; stir for another 5 minutes.
- Roughly dice a tomato, half onion, one carrot, and a bundle of cilantro. Toss them all in the pot and stir all together.
- Bring to boil and simmer (covered) for 25 minutes at medium heat.
- Remove cover and add pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk. Transfer to a blender in batches to puree thoroughly, adding water as needed if the resulting cream is too thick.
- Separately, crack an egg into a small bowl; set aside.
- Bring a small pot to a simmering boil (small bubbles are what you should look for). Stir the water in a circular motion. As you stir, carefully add egg into the center. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cream into a bowl.
- Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and place on top of cream. Enjoy!