Did you know the word “Taco” means “Light Lunch”? National Taco Day is October 4th, and every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday, so let’s celebrate! Here’s a unique twist on one of the world’s most delicious foods that we can just never get enough of. Be it a quick lunch or full dinner, when you try our Very Veggie Recipe for Veggie Tacos, you’ll surely be craving for more.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 links vegetarian sausage
1/2 head of small red cabbage
24 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
4 large cloves of garlic
2 bunches of scallions
3 tbsp seasoned white vinegar
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp sour cream
1/4 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts
3 to 4 corn tortillas
- Chop your vegetables and veggie sausage.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and sriracha. Mix until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large, deep dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat. Add chopped vegetarian sausage. Cook until brown on all sides, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add cabbage, mushrooms, and 1/3 cup water. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often. If at any point the mixture starts to become dry and stick to the bottom, splash a little more water as needed.
- Add garlic, ginger, and the white and light green parts of the green onions. Cook, stirring constantly until very fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add either sauteed tofu or sausage, rice vinegar, hoisin, soy sauce, and sriracha. Stir until everything is warmed through and combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Stir in peanuts, remove from heat, and sprinkle with reserved dark green onions. Pile inside warm tortillas and enjoy hot with a sprinkle of extra peanuts.