Learn about the Very Veggie Movement
This spicy Korean dish features sauteed and seasoned vegetables and a red, peppery sauce served over a bed of warm rice. Here, we use tofu and Sriracha to give it its signature kick.
Pack of portobello mushrooms
2 large carrots
2 cloves of garlic
¾ cup of jasmine rice
5 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp of sugar
5 tsp white wine vinegar
Sriracha hot sauce
1 pack of medium-firm (or firm) tofu
- Remove tofu from packaging and cut in half, wrap in a small kitchen towel and apply pressure. Add another small kitchen towel and press with a heavy plate or large book.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry all produce. Remove stems of mushrooms and slice thinly.
- Trim zucchini and cut into thin slices, then halve slices, crosswise, into half-moons.
- Peel carrots and then shave lengthwise into ribbons. Rotate until you get to the core.
- Trim and chop scallions, divide the whites from the greens. Peel garlic and mince.
- In a small bowl combine minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and as much Sriracha sauce as you prefer. Stir until smooth.
- Unwrap pressed tofu from the towel and crumble into a large bowl.
- In a small pot, combine rice with 1¼ cup water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes, and then turn off the heat and keep covered.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium pan or wok. Add carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes, and then transfer to another bowl.
Add zucchini and a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender. Transfer to the same bowl as cooked carrot ribbons.
- Add the chopped mushrooms with another drizzle of olive oil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl with veggies.
- Heat another drizzle of olive oil in a pan, add crumbled tofu and cook until lightly browned. Add salt and pepper and then stir in the soy sauce Sriracha mixture. Cook another 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat until tofu is crumbled and dry. Add scallion greens and mix together.
- Meanwhile, mix scallion whites, white wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Fluff rice and place in a bowl. Arrange carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, and tofu crumbles on top of rice. Add white scallion mixture and Sriracha to taste. Enjoy!