Learn about the Very Veggie Movement
Pho is a delicate, yet flavor-rich Vietnamese soup. It features a vegetable broth base, rice noodles, herbs, and more, and is packed with the proteins you need to make this a satisfying meal you’ll come back to over and over.
1 block firm tofu, pressed and cubed
5 slices of fresh ginger
1 whole onion, quartered
1 tsp five spice
2 tbsp soy sauce
4-5 cups of vegetable stock
1 package rice noodles
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, caps sliced
1 tbsp salt
Chopped fresh cilantro
- Pour vegetable stock into a large pot, bring to a simmer and add onions, ginger, five spice, and soy sauce. Add salt to taste.
- Fill a pan with about 1/8 inch of vegetable oil; place on high heat. When the oil is heated, fry cubes of tofu until the sides are golden brown. Set aside on a plate on top of a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- In another pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook mushrooms on medium heat until browned and tender. Remove from heat and save for later.
- In a pot of salted water, cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- Place cooked noodles in a bowl, ladle broth and vegetables over top. Add mushrooms and tofu. Serve with fresh toppings.