Try this scrumptious, cheesy, veggie-friendly quesadilla! Here, we load our tortillas with veggies for extra texture, juiciness, and flavor. We even add some pineapple to the mix! It’s the perfect recipe for kids to help make, too. For an easy vegan modification, swap out the cheese for your favorite non-dairy variety.
1 yellow onion
1 can of chopped pineapple
1 Roma tomato
1 can of black beans
2 portobello peppers
1 cup mozzarella cheese (or cheese of choice)
Large flour tortillas
1 tsp sour cream
1 bunch of cilantro
- Heat broiler to high
- Wash and dry all produce. Half, peel and thinly slice half the onion. Dice the other half onion. Drain pineapple and discard juice or drink for a sweet treat.
- Half, core, and chop poblano peppers into large chunks. Dice roma tomato. Finely chop cilantro.
- In a medium bowl combine diced onion, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, add lime juice to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and chopped peppers. Cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add canned pineapple and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Place large flour tortilla onto baking sheet. Add cheese, beans, and vegetable mix. Fold in half and broil for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip quesadilla and broil an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place cooked quesadilla onto large plate, add 1 tbsp of sour cream, pico, and cut into small pieces. Add hot sauce or salsa if desired — enjoy!