Each Very Veggie Recipe Submission utilizes Jing Si Instant Rice — which was developed thanks to the venerable Dharma Master Cheng Yen, the founder of the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation. Versatile, convenient, and delicious, Jing Si Instant Rice was designed so that in an hour of great need, Tzu Chi volunteers can provide a straightforward and nutritious source of relief.
This easy peasy vegan mushroom rice is made in just one pot! Simple yet comforting, this dish can be easily recreated with a few simple ingredients, and keep you feeling satisfied for hours.
½ Block of tofu
½ Pack of Jing Si instant rice
6-8 Mushrooms, as preferred
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp pepper
½ Tsp parsley, thyme, & rosemary
¾ Cup soymilk
4 Tbsp vegan butter
4 Tbsp flour
1.5 Cups vegetable broth (or water)
- Cut tofu into small cubes, and mushrooms into small chunks.
- In a hot pan, melt the vegan butter.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Add in soymilk and cook until the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Add in vegetable broth and mix until well combined.
- Mix in salt and chopped mushrooms.
- Add in parsley, thyme, rosemary, & black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a hand blender (or a regular blender), blend the mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Add in ½ of the dried vegetables included in the Jing Si instant rice package.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in ½ of the dried rice and ½ of the seasoning included in the Jing Si instant rice package. Then add tofu.
- Pour the mushroom mixture into the bowl and gently mix.
- Sprinkle more parsley, thyme, rosemary, & black pepper, to taste.
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 350° F for 20 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 mins.
A Message From the Chef
Ivilyn Tan, a senior at Lynbrook High School in San Jose, California, created this recipe for her filmmaking class. “By making these dishes vegetarian, my friends and I hope to promote the benefits of vegetarianism, such as being beneficial to one’s health and being good for the environment,” she explained. Give it a try for yourself!